Aug 20, 2009

Saving Grace

I've talked about this show before and it's not because we share a name but because it always impresses me. Last night was the season finale of "Saving Grace". Next summer will be the last season because, according to the network, it is too expensive to produce. That's a shame. It is such a great show on every level. The acting is superb; the characters complex as are the relationships. It is a cop show with interesting cases that often take an unexpected twist.

But it's real focus is on redemption. It looks at moral issues, the kind that we all face on a day to day basis. There is the religious element, Earl is angel and God is referenced often but it does not favor one religion over another. Earl has had some interesting things to say about the multitude of religions. This show always leaves me with something to ponder. It's not maudlin, or ickey-sweet. It is about all of us and decisions we may have faced in our lives, or may have to in the future. It is about Faith, in ourselves, in others and in a higher power. Am I giving a lot of weight to a mere television show? Why should a tv show not have depth and meaning?

AND ON A LIGHTER NOTE


I took some quizzes over at Blogthings. Some came out a little too close to the bone but I especially liked this one called The Beach Test:


You Are Exceedingly Passionate

You are a loner, and you're fine with that. You find the most fulfillment in solitude. And you never feel more lonely than when you're in a crowd.

You don't fall in love easily. It takes you a long time to get used to someone. Intimacy doesn't come easily for you.

You are an amazingly passionate person. You are passionate about almost everything, and your passion definitely gets you in trouble!

Your sense of humor is very physical. Your facial expressions or spot on imitations of people are hilarious.


11 comments:

Jodi said...

Oh no I did not know Saving Grace was going off the air, oh my gosh I absolutely love that show. Now that really stinks because it beats most shows that are on TV today. What a shame, it's sad at least for me it is.

God bless,
Jodi

Grace said...

Jodi: This seasons finale was Tuesday. It will be back next year for it's last season, which should be verrrry interesting.

Sandee said...

You Are Very Passionate

You are a people person. You don't need a lot of privacy or space in your life. It's likely that you grew up in a loud, big family.

You fall in love with ease and confidence. Even if you've had bad experiences in the past, each new love is a reason to start completely over.

You are a passionate person. You are free wheeling, fun loving, and ruled by your emotions.

Your sense of humor is goofy and silly. You are good at making almost anyone laugh.

Yep, that's me.

Have a terrific day Grace. :)

Dawn (Twisted Sister) said...

You Are Quietly Passionate
You like people, but you're careful about who you get close to. Friendship is important to you... so important that you aren't just friends with anyone.

You fall in love with ease and confidence. Even if you've had bad experiences in the past, each new love is a reason to start completely over.

You are a deep and contemplative person. You are as passionate as everyone else, but your passion is not always apparent.

Your sense of humor is intellectual and obscure. Only really well educated people get your jokes.
-----------------------------

hmmmm... I'm not sure about the falling in love with ease and confidence part... but everything else seems to fit.
Thanks for the fun!

Grace said...

Sandee & Dawn: Well is seems we are all passionate - ties into the the symbolic meaning of the ocean...It was a fun quiz...

JD at I Do Things said...

Based on your (and my mom's) reviews, I've added Saving Grace to my queue. I do love Holly Hunter, and tho I'm not much of one for cop shows, this one doesn't sound typical.

I love those Blogthings quizzes, too. Off to try the Beach Test . . .

Anonymous said...

apparently we are the same on 1 and 4

You never struck me a a beach person

yes I know it's not really about the beach

I've never watched the show, tho I'm sorry it's getting canceled.

I'm hungry

Reese =^..^= said...

What a fun quiz. Thanks for sharing it!

Grace said...

JD: Starting next Tuesday they will be repeating this season of Saving Grace, 11 pm on TNT. You can record it.

Anon: There will be one more season of Saving Grace. I like the beach, in the winter, I think I went to Jones Beach more often in the winter than I ever did in the summer. Hungry? - Eat something.

Reese: yes, it was fun - interesting questions...

Isolated Existence. said...

It is a shame! I love this show, anything can happen and like you said it has a great cast! Loved the season finale, left me wishing they would have given us an extra hour!

Grace said...

Isolated: One more season to go. And a whole year to wait for it...It was a great cliff-hanger tho - weren't you just holding your breath?

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.