Oct 20, 2009

Sleep

All of a sudden I seem to be doing more of it, and at night even; going to bed at a reasonable hour (midnight), tossing and turning for a short while and then blissful sleep - 8 to 10 hours of it. Amazing. Unheard of. Unnatural, for me.

For as long as I can remember I could always sleep easily and well during the day but come night time, any time after 7 pm, sleep and I were not compatible. I was told that even as an infant I did not sleep at night. I know the reason why and I guess that just became a part of my rhythms. I always say I'm not a morning person but really, if you have had only had 3 or 4 restless hours of sleep how chipper and alert are you going to be?

I do prefer the night time, when all is quiet and darkness is a comfy cozy blanket; yet there is still an element of fear. But daylight is a safe time, it's light and bright and there is no where to hide. Night time has shadows, and every whisper of a sound becomes a shout.

I don't know why I am sleeping more and better. All of the fears that keep me up at night are still front and center. I hardly have a thought, night or day, that is not associated with the fear of something. Mostly, I'm afraid of the house. I don't trust this house or anything in it. The house scares the hell out of me and I don't feel safe here. Not in this house, this neighborhood, this city.

And yet, I am sleeping well and for that I am grateful. Old subconscious fears and new more concrete fears, aren't keeping me awake so much. Maybe I am so tired after so many years of restless sleep it's all just catching up to me, or maybe, this thought just came to me, I am sleeping because

7 comments:

Jude said...

I always slept better during the day also, maybe it was because of the way I worked. I love the peacefulness of night time when everyone has settled in. Glad you are sleeping better.

Anonymous said...

Fortunately I've never had any particular trouble sleeping - even when I was a kid and had night terrors, once the episode was over I'd go right back to sleep.

We're such nightowls - (read that with utmost sarcasm, please) - if I'm up until 10PM, it's a miracle. I LOVE "NCIS: Los Angeles", which starts at 9PM ... I just wish I could stay up late enough to find out how it comes out each week ... time for a DVR, I think!

Yes, it does help to have a guardian angel looking out for us.

Italiana >^..^<

Anonymous said...

Fortunately I've never had any particular trouble sleeping - even when I was a kid and had night terrors, once the episode was over I'd go right back to sleep.

We're such nightowls - (read that with utmost sarcasm, please) - if I'm up until 10PM, it's a miracle. I LOVE "NCIS: Los Angeles", which starts at 9PM ... I just wish I could stay up late enough to find out how it comes out each week ... time for a DVR, I think!

Yes, it does help to have a guardian angel looking out for us.

Italiana >^..^<

Buggys said...

I'm one of those very lucky people. I can sleep about anywhere or anytime! I sleep during an MRI! Unless I'm very stressed, in which case I don't sleep at all.
How does it feel to be properly rested?

Buggys said...

I'm one of those very lucky people. I can sleep about anywhere or anytime! I sleep during an MRI! Unless I'm very stressed, in which case I don't sleep at all.
How does it feel to be properly rested?

Grace said...

Sandee: I really like angels - don't know why, but I believe.

Jude: There is a peacefulness to the night time...

Italiana: Couldn't live without the dvr - commercials make me crazy

Buggys: Hard to tell, I didn't sleep well last night LOL

Grace said...

Sandee: I really like angels - don't know why, but I believe.

Jude: There is a peacefulness to the night time...

Italiana: Couldn't live without the dvr - commercials make me crazy

Buggys: Hard to tell, I didn't sleep well last night LOL

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.