Nov 16, 2009

Pie

I like pie. I like pie best of all kinds of pastries. Fruit pies especially. Golden, buttery flaky crust, oozing juicy fruit in the middle. Blueberry, strawberry, cherry (mmmm, cherry pie), apple pie, rhubarb pie, hell I even love spinach pie.

I know cupcakes are all the rage but I don't get them at all. Just a lump of cake with frosting - I'm not much one for cake. Don't do frosting, don't do whipped cream, don't really do sugar all that much.

But pie, oh my! Still oven-warm, slide your fork through, the crust near disintegrating in buttery flakes and all those bits of fruits, I like mine a little tart, buttery fruity taste just mixing and melting in your mouth - ahhhh! Lick the sticky juice off the fork, front and back...it's heaven I'm telling you heaven. Layers of tastes and textures.

Can you get all that with a cupcake? I'm so thinking not. Just a mouthful of ole cake and icky frosting.

And while I'm sure there are songs about cupcakes, because there are songs about just about everything, I can't think of a single one. And there sure ain't no cupcake diners or secret recipes.

But there are songs about pie -





18 comments:

Heather said...

I am ready for my rhubarb pie now! I haven't had a slice or stalk of it since I was a child in Maine.I'm not saying how long ago THAT was! Yumm, I can smell it's sweet tartiness, already!

Lisa said...

Great minds think alike... I just brought in a Lemon Meringue (sp?) for the office to enjoy!!! I like cupcakes, but they don't top my list. Pumpkin roll... that tops my list!!! Hope you have a great MOnday.

Sandee said...

I love pumpkin pie the very best. I too would go for pie rather than cake or cupcakes.

Have a terrific day. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm also a fan of pies and other pastries - cake I can usually take or leave, and the current cupcake craze is beyond me. Nana made the BEST pies and pastries - the crust was never, EVER soggy - and she twisted up the dough scraps, dusted them with cinnamon sugar, and baked them - I'm not sure I didn't like them even better than the pie. Grace, I have a wonderful recipe for a pie that combines apples and pears, and is absolutely scrumptious - I'll email it to you if you like.
Italiana >^..^<

Grace said...

Heather: For some reason they put strawberries with rhubarb for pies - haven't had a taste of that in years either.

Lisa: Lemon meringue - yes except I take the meringue off LOL

Sandee: Warm pumpkin pie - oh, yes!

Italiana: I'll take the recipe - hubby doesn't care for pie - means I don't make or eat it very often ::sob:: The mother used to do the same with left over pie crust dough - she would give it to me and I would make my own little pastries.

Buggys said...

Mmmmm. I do love me some pumpkin pie with fresh made whipped cream! Not one for cupcakes either, unless they are filled! I'm more a pastry person.

Buggys said...

I never knew there were songs about pie. Besides Old King Cole!

Theresa said...

The only thing I like about cupcakes IS the icing...I'll eat that and throw the cake part out. I like pie but it has to have ice cream unless it is Lemon Meringue which is my all time favorite!! Mostly I'll stick to a bag of potato chips.

BeadedTail said...

Pies, cake and breads are my downfall. My favorite pie is either cherry or strawberry rhubarb or peach or....! I guess I really like pie!

Dawn (Twisted Sister) said...

I'll have apple pie and ice cream please... or maybe lemon meringue:)

Grace said...

Theresa: I suppose if I HAD to choose, I would pick the icing too.

Buggys: there is a song for everything LOL

Beaded Tail: I love anything cheery or lemon...

Dawn: My dahling - how are you? I once made an apple with apples that had been soaked in Calvados - interesting but not a winner.

Daisy said...

How about some delicious PECAN pie!?!

Jennifer said...

I'm reminded of Harold and the Purple Crayon, in which Harold is hungry so he draws some pie -- all nine kinds of pie that he likes best! (We've been reading this book at home lately, so it's fresh on my mind.)

Me, I am more of a dark chocolate person, though I do like savory pies.

Grace said...

Daisy: You are so right - pecan pie! But warm - I like my pie warm.

Jennifer: Pie is pie and chocolate is chocolate - you can love both. But there is something called french silk chocolate pie - I made it exactly once, for my husband, it might be the only pie he really likes. It's much too rich for me - google it; the best of both worlds?

JD at I Do Things said...

Wow, now I want pie, and I'm not the world's biggest pie fan, either. In fact, I hate fruit pie, except for blueberry. But you do have a point about a delicious freshly baked flaky crust.

(Plus I love "Michael"!)

Grace said...

JD: It's the varying tastes and textures of pie that is so satisfying. And you can put anything between 2 layers of buttery goodness and it's a pie - fruit or not.

Oh my, pie!

I love "Michael" too, and the other song is from the movie "Waitress" -

Your Daily Cute said...

Pie is fine, but you don't like cake?!? This is an outrage!

:)

Sharkbytes said...

I'm with you, I LOVE pie.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.