Jan 20, 2010

Bouncing Around

I realized the other day I do not like butter. I had been using Olivio but switched to "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - Mediterranean Blend". For some strange reason, when I toasted myself a bagel the other day, I decided to put real butter on it. Bleech! So did not like the taste. My husband puts chunks of butter on his toast or corn bread, and yes, yes I know cholesterol - his last test came back at 171.

We are totally crazy about the repaired and painted basement and the freshly painted bathroom - every time I pass the bathroom I peek in and just smile. I don't spend much time in the basement, that's my husband's office, but now just going down to do the laundry is a pleasure.

I might be picking up a freelance editing job. My husband is trying to convince some people he works with that they need my services. You can't tell from this blog but I am an excellent business writer with a creepy OCD attention to details.

Erich Segal, writer of "Love Story" died Sunday at his home in London. Never read the book; have only seen bits of the movie. In the novel the line was "Love means not ever having to say you're sorry" and that's just a crock of bull feces.

Robert B. Parker, novelist, best known for the detective novels featuring a private eye named Spenser died Monday at his home in Cambridge, MA. I was never fond of that series of books. I found them a tad simple and Spenser insufferable. His sidekick Hawk was far more interesting. Just like in the "Elvis Cole" books, his sidekick Joe Pike was the really intriguing character. I've never had much tolerance for sensitive men - spare me the Spensers and the Elvis Coles, I'll take the Hawks and the Joe Pikes any day.

16 comments:

Patricia Rockwell said...

I used to like "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" until I found out it has trans-fats or something else that's bad for you in it. Now, I use "Smart Balance." You might like that. However, I love butter, but--as you say--it's horrible for you!

Grace said...

Patricia: It has no trans fats and I use the Mediterranean blend which uses olive oil. I compared it to Olivio and it was nutritionally better. My husband eats all kinds of dairy and fats and his cholesterol never goes over 171/172....he is hated by most of his friends who are popping all kinds of cholesterol lowering drugs.

Lin said...

It really should be "Love means you have to say you're sorry over and over again because you want to"

Sandee said...

When and if I have butter, it's real butter. Not very often though. I don't get to eat all the really good stuff. Used to, but just can't anymore.

I'm one of those folks that popping cholesterol lowering drugs. Hubby too. Heredity in our cases.

Have a terrific day. :)

Buggys said...

I can't get rid of my butter! That would be like giving up cake, No Can Do. Love the stuff. Nothing better than fresh lima beans with butter and pepper, mmmm.
I enjoy Parkers books, in fact I read one last week and, yes, Hawk is the more interesting of the pair.

Grace said...

Lin: If you can't be kind, courteous and understanding to the ones you love - then who?

Sandee: I was never a butter person so I guess I just don't miss using it. I use it for baking of course - it tasted so strange.

Buggys: I use olive oil and lemon juice on veggies - Lima Beans? You are the first person I have ever met who likes them LOL My husband likes Parker, I never developed an appreciation of him.

BeadedTail said...

I'm reducing the amount of butter I have and so far it's easier than I thought it would be.

Glad you are so happy with the basement and bathroom! And good luck with the editing job!

dawn said...

I love butter but don't use it often.

WillOaks Studio said...

I traded my fondness for butter for olive oil after my Italy adventure a little over a year ago...of course, I can't bake cookies with it! And to add another bounce here? Grace, your new necklace should go out in tomorrow's mail!! Thanks again!

Grace said...

Sharla: If you are not a devoted butter person then there are lots of ways to reduce its usage. Olive oil and lemon juice are so much tastier on any kind of veggies - toast can be a problem but there is apple butter or all fruit spreads...The editing job should be fun...

Dawn: It's not good for you anyway...

Karen: Yeah, as a devoted and compulsive olive oil user, baking is not one of it's uses. But a lot of cake recipes substitute apple sauce for most of the butter. I've got a yummy cocoa snack cake recipe that only uses 1/2 a stick of butter and 3/4 of a cup of applesauce - so moist and yummy.

I don't think my check could have cleared yet. You should wait till it does to protect your own interests. I know it's good but you don't know that yet LOL

earthtoholly said...

Don't like butter? Holy cow. Yeah, I know it's bad for us, but it is so good...especially in baking. I just have to use butter in chocolate chip cookies.

However, I'm learning to replace it with olive oil on potatoes and other veggies. Yay!

Heather said...

I used to love real butter when I was a kid, now I don't use it at all. I just never think to buy it.

I soo know the feeling of getting a room done and just having to admire it. I did that most of last year.

Anna said...

I love Olivio! Is the taste of ICBINB-Mediterranean just as good as Olivio? My biggest peeve about the margarine/butter substitutes is they have that nasty aftertaste.

Grace said...

Holly: I would never use a butter substitute in baking - never! I guess I am just so used to olive oil on and with everything - It's what I grew up with being Italian...olive oil, lemon juice, garlic - can't cook without 'em LOL

Heather: Yeah, you just finished decorating your house, right? I love doing that. I just didn't realize how little I like direct contact with butter LOL

Anna: I never noticed an after taste with either of them. What caused me to switch was reading the content labeling - I can't remember now what it was that made me switch from Olivio - I use so little of the stuff - I guess I'm just not a butter person LOL

Anonymous said...

I use olive oil or ICBINB most of the time ... but I HAVE to use unsalted butter when I bake - there are times when caution and cholesterol simply have to be thrown to the winds. I do, however, substitute applesauce for oil in things like brownies.

"Love Story" was overly sentimental dreck. I read it because all my girlfriends did, and that bunch of ninnies were all boo-hooing about how romantic and tragic it was. The characters were stupid cookie-cutter stereotypes, and the plot was soooooo predictable. PLEH!

Italiana >^..^<

Grace said...

Italiana: Well of course you have to use butter when you bake LOL I have tried using fake sugar because I know some people who are diabetic but that has never worked out. Baking I always go by the book because I am not enough of a chemist to work out the appropriate exchanges - with baking there is a formula of dry to wet to fats to leavening agents...too much for my little brain.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.