Mar 25, 2010

Round

If one could be said to have a favorite shape then my favorite shape would be a circle. I like round things. I like curves. Give me curves (give me curves, give me curves, under starry skies above, don't fence me in..sing along now).

I don't like sharp angles; sharp edges; squares, rectangles. And if something must be one of those shapes then the edges must be rounded and soft. I just looked it up, those rounded edges on kitchen counters - they are called "bullnose". Arch doorways; bay windows - oh how I love them. If I could avoid 90 degree angles altogether, I would be happy.

Except round beds. I don't like round beds, they strike me as weird, and tacky.

If I could afford it, all the furnishings in my house would be rounded and curvy, even if I had to have it made specially. I would like to live without corners and edges.

Yesterday I had a very lovely circular day. First, our new dining table was delivered. It is round. I do so love a round table. See my nice new table? Isn't it pretty? It's not all that big, 42" in diameter, but it can open up and become an oval. When you live in a small house getting furniture with the right proportions can be difficult. Especially if you want the furniture to be functional as well. I think this little beauty fits the bill nicely.

Then in the afternoon, for no particular reason I decided to make cornbread. I make the worlds greatest cornbread. And to do it right, it should be baked in a round cast iron pan. Just like this. And isn't that the most beautiful cornbread you have ever seen? (recipe available upon request).

And now that I think about it, we had bacon and eggs for dinner last night, fried eggs, free form white with a lovely round yellow yolk in the middle. Which rounded out the day nicely, don't you think?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curves are Grace-ful!
{{{Huggies}}},
Italiana >^..^<

dawn said...

I never thought of it before... but now that you mention it - yes I think round is better!

earthtoholly said...

I see you have followed suit with rounded corners on your new design, too! Love the new theme...and table. Aren't iron skillets the best? My mom does the cornbread thing and I do fried potatoes and onions in them. Okay, now I'm hungry...

Grace said...

Italiana: Yes they are :)

Dawn: Circle are sexier and fraught with meaning...

Holly: Now that you mention it - I didn't purposely do that, it just proves I am instinctively drawn to circles and curves.

I think one of my cast iron pans was my Grandmothers. The rest I got when I set up my first apartment some 40-odd years ago. I don't use them much any more especially when my husband's was diagnosed with too much iron in his blood - the doctor actually said to stop using the cast iron pans...Now they are used just for corn bread, frankfurters and manicotti

Sandee said...

I've never thought about it either, but I'd not go for round. I'd go for the square look. Funny, I've not thought about this until now.

The cornbread looks good too. I've heard that you make it in a cast iron skillet too.

Have a terrific day. :)

Duni said...

Me too! I'm always drawn to round, curvy shapes in objects, furniture, drawings, patterns, nature...

Buggys said...

Round is very good, fair and equitable, non-judgemental. I have an identical table in my kitchen, love it!

Lin said...

I have a small house too, I know all about buying furniture creatively! It's hard to find nice furniture scaled down for older homes--there are a LOT of new houses here that have large great rooms and the furniture stores cater to that. Ugh.

Yum, cornbread. :)

Grace said...

Sandee: I'm sure some psychologist somewhere would attribute our shape likes and dislikes to some amazingly inaccurate personality flaw.

And even tho I have had cast iron pans for over 40 years I always made my cornbread in a regular square pan until I read that cast iron was more authentic. I don't much care about authentic, but it DOES come out way better in cast iron.

Duni: Maybe it's a right brain/left brain thing????

Buggys: Really? Where'd you hear that? I'm real comfortable with that description. As to the table, I love it. You will notice I did NOT get the matching chairs. Those chairs you see there came from a Salvation Army store and originally had a matching ROUND table which we had to get rid of because it was way too big for this house. ::sign::

Lin: Yuh, I'm not crazy about big over-sized furniture but it should be poofy enough to be cuddly. And my corn bread recipe is dyn-o-mite.

Anonymous said...

Now that I think about it, my dining room and back porch tables are round - and the chairs have curved backs. My living room upholstered pieces are all curvy, and even the rectangular end tables have piecrust edges to soften the corners ... I am not a fan of hard edges either, it seems!
And of coursde cats have no edges.
Italiana >^..^<

BeadedTail said...

I hadn't thought of what shape I like best but round would probably be it since a heart shaped table would be very awkward!

Ann said...

I think your new table is very nice, as a matter of fact it looks a lot like mine. I don't use the leaf for it very often because I have a very small house and with just two of us here, who needs a big table.

Grace said...

Italiana: Yeah but they do have sharp teeth to put the bitey on ya!

Sharla: Yeah, I think a heart shaped table might not be the most functional LOL

Ann: Exactly. I like the way the leaf on this table is folded inside. There are times when we need a bigger table which is why getting a small one that can open if needed was essential. Just two of us here too...

Grace said...

Italiana: Yeah but they do have sharp teeth to put the bitey on ya!

Sharla: Yeah, I think a heart shaped table might not be the most functional LOL

Ann: Exactly. I like the way the leaf on this table is folded inside. There are times when we need a bigger table which is why getting a small one that can open if needed was essential. Just two of us here too...

Heather said...

I guess I have never really thought about it. I would have to say I an a square (I never thought I would ever say that about myself), Nearly all my furniture is squares or rectangles.
Weird, I know!

Grace said...

Heather: Not weird at all. And I don't think there are too many people out there who think about what shapes they prefer - If you've been reading me for a while you know I tend to think about some odd things....LOL

Janiss said...

How do you season cast iron utensils? My boyfriend/fiance got a cast iron skillet/griller to cook fish in (he does not eat red meat, just fish and wanted to grill it indoors), and I don't know what he did in an attempt to season it, but it seems to be ruined. Can you fix them after they've been screwed up and are turning rusty and icky? Or will he have to start all over again with a new one? (Which I am willing to buy him for his birthday, if I can explain to him how to properly season and use it.)

Grace said...

Janiss: Yes of course they can be re-seasoned. Try this
LINK

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.