Jun 18, 2010

Oddments

I have often used the phrase "I can't help but wonder" - it's just a natural bit of phrasing for me. I always thought it was the phrase used by Carrie Bradshaw in "Sex and the City" and therefore I thought I was plagiarizing or something and should always give the attribution. Today I looked it up and discovered that Carrie said "I couldn't help but wonder" so I guess I am safe on that account. I can't, she couldn't.

It's Friday and Tom had said he would be finished with everything by today and he is about two days behind schedule. But that is Tom. The closet is coming along beautifully. It doesn't look like "added on", it looks like it has always been there. We have just plain old sliding doors on it and Tom put molding all around it so it has a totally finished look. I am having the whole thing painted the same color as the walls, no white contrast on the molding, so it will all just blend into the wall. The color is lemon ice - just the palest of yellows - great color for a basement.

The new storm/security door was installed on Wednesday and it is gor-gee-ous. The installer did a fabulous job. He had to build an overhead, which was then covered with metal to give the whole thing a very finished look. I'm loving it but now the regular front door looks stupid because you can see the door knocker and mail slot through the design on the storm door. I want a new front door now!

The weather has been beautiful and it just annoys the living hell out of me that I can't go out to enjoy it. Somehow walking aimlessly around the neighborhood sucks the joy right out of a beautiful day especially when all there is to see is dirty streets. There isn't an inch of green space around. Stupid-ass Philadelphia!

Sunday Serenade is going to be interesting for you younger folks for the next few weeks - I'll be featuring instrumentals. Y'all might want to drop by for that. As it is Friday, and most of you have lives, do absolutely enjoy your weekend - do me a favor, go out and spend time amongst the flowers and trees. If you have a beach near by, send me some sand and sea breezes!

8 comments:

vanilla said...

No beach here; but I'll enjoy the weekend anyway. Hope you have a good one, too.

Sandee said...

We have a guy across the street that built two bookcases for us. You'd never know they didn't come with the house when it was built. So very important in my view.

You finally got that storm door. Good for you. You certainly waited long enough.

I'm sorry that you live is such a weird place. I can't imagine not having greenery all over the place. It does make a walk much better.

Have a terrific day and weekend. :)

Ann said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing Tom's handy work on the closet, it sounds great.
My mission for the weekend is to go out and find you some flowers, grass, sand and sunshine oh and lets not forget the sea breeze. I live close to Lake Erie, I do hope lake breeze will suffice. Have a great weekend Grace :)

Grace said...

vanilla: More work on the house this weekend, even tho I'm not doing it I seem to be more tired.

Sandee: Yes, I simply cannot get over the lack of green space. Wait till you see the pics of the closet - I am so impressed!

Ann: Oh I wish I could spend the weekend with you! A lake would be just lovely!

BeadedTail said...

Can't wait to see Tom's work! Glad you're happy with the security door too!

As for the beach, stop by Sadieday tomorrow and she might have some for you! :D

Grace said...

Sharla: Looking forward to Sadieday stroll...

Monica said...

Hi there from sunny California. I'm sending you the scents of the flowers and the sea mist. With Love!

Monica

Heather said...

I bet those cabinets and storm door are just gorgeous. Can't wait till you post the pics.

I have a lot of green around me, but it is so hot out it's impossible to enjoy for very long.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.