Aug 19, 2010

Perceptions...

On Tuesday's post there is a comment by FishHawk, part of which says: "For if I had as exciting a life as you do, I would probably feel differently." I really did LOL at that. I don't know if Jerry was being facetious or sincere.

I can't imagine anyone have a less exciting life than I have - really. I am pretty much a recluse. I rarely leave the house; I speak with no one other than my husband and the cats - I do very little that is constructive, and what little I do often rankles (I am weary of being in charge of food, tho the little bits of housework I do every day don't bother me much and I do enjoy the bookkeeping duties. I love to pay bills and make charts!)

I have to wonder what Jerry's perception is based on. Of course it also validates the old saw "the grass is always greener". I think we have to define what we mean by an exciting life.

Aside from my physical problems, none of which are terminal (I don't think) my life is pretty damn good - I want for nothing (except a different place to live of course) and materialistically I could afford to buy pretty much whatever I want (except a new place to live) but I actually want little in the way of material things...so does that make my life exciting? I guess for many that might very well be true.

If I were one of those happy, sappy people I would make some comment about counting my blessings or walking in another person's shoes or making lemonade out of lemons (and what the hell else would you make lemonade out of?). But I'm not - a happy, sappy person. Can't stand those cheery platitudes - oh, yeah and that one about living with gratitude - can't imagine living a life of self-deprecation. Hey, you got good shit going on in your life? You probably earned it; you paid your dues.

So if you think I'm going to wrap this up with some wussy line about looking on the bright side or some such crap - you're wrong. from where I sit, my life sucks mainly because I don't have one.


12 comments:

Sandee said...

Perception is indeed a difficult to understand. Sometimes what we see isn't reality at all. Appears to be the case here.

You do have a life. You really do. You have a husband, a home and your babies.

I'm that happy sappy person. Why? I don't know. Just the way it turned out.

Have a terrific day. :)

Ann said...

Perception is a funny thing. Like at work, everyone perceives me as being a total B. There I am, if I have to be but they don't really know the real me. They just go with the idea that I'm just a naturally nasty person. Actually I think I may be a cross between you and Lin...lol

Grace said...

Sandee - Thanks, you too!

Ann: Ah yes - the ole "B" thing - I've been so described at work too. Then there more than a few social contacts (men) who thought the same - and their opinion matters - NOT!

Lin is a warm and fuzzy person isn't she? I like people like that - a nice antidote to my terminal grumpiness.

vanilla said...

(and what the hell else would you make lemonade out of?).

If you are the Country Time people, apparently maltodextrin, ascorbic acid, sodium ACD thyrophosphate, sodium citrate, and a tediously long list of other chemicals.

Beside which, exciting is not all it's cracked up to be.

BeadedTail said...

Perceptions are so subjective and something I used to worry about so much. Now, not so much but I still have my moments.

And I wouldn't have expected a wussy line from you! :D I'd actually love to be a little more like you Grace - just say things that I truly mean and not worry about it. You're never mean or spiteful, just truthful and refreshing and I know you have a huge heart and of course I know are a big animal lover and that means a lot in my book!

Grace said...

vanilla: You know what I meant! As for exciting not all it is cracked up to be - I'd like to decide that for myself :)

Sharla: Bless you - Thank you for your kind words - Definitely needed them today! And didn't I just do a little rant about people being exactly who they are...You just have to be the best possible YOU.

ANNIE, ANNIE, ANNIE!! - You have been on my mind these past few weeks. So Glad to see you! Gad, I hope you are doing better and better!

And yes, I get frustrated when I don't seem to be communicating what I want to but then I have to think - maybe I am providing a springboard for someone to address something that might be bothering them - so I guess it's all to the good.

I truly think we are all probably a little bit B and a little bit happy, sappy - ok, so I'm not sappy very often but there are certain subjects and people (my brother mostly) that can put me in that frame of mind.

As to the song, I probably just searched for it on Youtube and then listened to a lot of versions till I stumbled over the best one.

Gosh, it is SO good to hear from you! {{HUGE HUGGIEZ}}Get well, Be well, Stay well!

FishHawk said...

Well, I was actually being facetious (yes, I do too know what it means!), but now you've done went and proved that you really do have a much more exciting life than I have. So, I'm gonna have to go think of something really ugly to say back to you, but that will take more energy than I've got right now. Therefore, I will go lay down for a while...and stew.

Grace said...

FishHawk: Why would you doubt that anyone would think that you don't know the meaning of facetious? And sweetie, you could NEVER say something mean no matter how hard you tried. Plus it's too hot for stew...

FishHawk said...

Wow, you sure know how to take the bite out of my bark, and yes, it is too hot for stewing.

Anonymous said...

I prefer Limes, they make very good
Margaritas.

Heather said...

Pop my balloon and make me have a tantrum. I do find YOU interesting, but n...o...w, your life, not so much. Why? Cause we have the same life. At home...all the time. I have to force myself or force hubby (to take me) to get out of the house at least once a week, even if it's just to go grocery shopping. Sometimes the house just feels too heavy over my head.

Glad you cleared that up for me. LOL!

Grace said...

Heather: Ah, but you do have a rickety truck (I don't drive, we don't have a car)and you do have some lovely places to walk. I don't walk all that well and the only places to walk are the filthy streets. This is a city with little green space or parks...it's a gross place to live.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.