Jul 29, 2008

Random Thoughts

Hackneyed question: How do you define life success? Money, friends, career, family? It flitted through my mind because someone who defines success through material objects is having a birthday soon and my last confrontation - not conversation, confrontation - with this person was all about how successful he is - it was all about money and homes and cars etc. I laughed and thought "How sad". It doesn't occur to him that he is not exactly the well respected man. I'll stick with the tried and true success indicators - friends, love. Works for me.

Newspapers. Which section do you read first? I go straight for the business section. It is filled with such useful information. Recalls of merchandise - I had sent my step-daughter baby stuff including these adorable pacifiers - just read they are being recalled for possible choking hazard! Emailed her right away to toss them out. And of course I am following the banking/mortgage fiasco. I'm glad we were conservative and safe in choosing how much to spend on a house and which financial institution to use for the mortgage.

I always read the real estate section - I worked in real estate for many years - albeit the commercial area - but over the years I gained a lot of knowledge about the residential area which stood us in good stead when we started looking to buy. I knew what questions to ask. I still think real estate is fun and exciting. Maybe after we move I'll try to find a job in that area - and NO not a sales person.

Style and Arts is my next stop - can't live without the comics. We don't actually go to movies - can wait for cable - but at least I know what's out there should the topic ever come up.

And I must ashamedly admit I rarely if ever read the front section - when a topic comes up that I think I really should know something about I research it on the 'net. Or better, I ask my husband. He is my information source for current events.

Friends: I got 'em and I truly love them all. They are not many but they are true. I will never ever get over the joy of knowing people like me - they really like me. It's a thrill, and a blessing I never take for granted. I have more invitations right now for "good-bye" lunches and dinners - from the most unlikely people. I am touched and amazed. (I'm not fishing for compliments here - you'd have to know my background to understand why I feel amazed by this.)

I am stressed by all the moving details and my husband is a rock. He has his job to deal with plus all the other stuff I keep dropping in his lap - I try not to drop too much - but I am feeling overwhelmed. I get the good jobs - like dealing with Verizon and Comcast and the utility companies LOL 4 hours, total, with Verizon yesterday OY!

I think that's it for now - I do so much writing in my head that when I finally get to a keyboard, it's all old news.

6 comments:

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

Success is not defined in what you have, but how you feel about yourself. Inner peace and being satisfied in your accomplishments. It has absolutely nothing to do with material things. Things don't make one really happy. So, you have that one right. I'm taking it the person that you are referring to isn't happy at all, that's why he is so confrontational. Just saying.

One step at a time on your move. It will all work out. Moving involves lots of stress. I so remember. Have a great day. :)

Broadway Matron said...

Sandee: The problem with the move is getting services - aside from basic utilities there has been no phone service etc at that address in several years. We also have no idea what it is wired for - the house was a total rehab from a shell...I've just been round and round with Earthlink LOL Now onto Comcast!

And yes, as to material-man - I don't think he is self-aware enough to know he is unhappy.

Dawn (Twisted Sister) said...

life success = happiness, peace, and a sense of accomplishment.

Newspaper: go for the comics first... once you get a dose of happy... you can handle the rest!

Moving is at the top of the list of things that will stress you out. It is overwhelming... take it one day at a time... and if it becomes to much - Blog It! We'll listen :)

Broadway Matron said...

Dawn honey - glad to see you are feeling better. Justine was a pleasure to visit with these past few days.

Anonymous said...

Success? hmmmm ... coming around to liking who I am, having family and friends I love dearly and who love me (warts and all), being content in my own skin - all of which have been, and continue to be journeys of growth and discovery. I'm not much about "stuff" - in fact a friendship of many years' standing eventually dried up because the friend's acquisitiveness became an all-consuming obsession and all she talked about was her "stuff". So sad, especially since her stuff never made her happy.

Never bother with the sports section, and during the week I usually read the daily fishwrapper from front to back in order. The funnies are a must. On Sunday I sort the paper into what I read (most of it) and what I don't - the classifieds, the sports, that sort of stuff. Then I sort the ads - same criteria. Other than the fact that I read the Life/Style section first on Sunday, I go through the news and business sections of it front to back. Then the ads, and the comics last as a "dessert".

I feel for you about the move - I've found that making lists is about the ONLY way I can get through big stuff like a move or llike opening a business as we've recently done without getting stressed to the point of tears and temper. My legal pads become my constant companions at such times. Find time to put your feet up and have "a cup tea in a glass".

Italiana

Broadway Matron said...

Del - yes, being liked and loved EXACTLY for who you are - warts and all. That's the ultimate...I love to act and pretend but only on a stage!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.